Idaho Falls Idaho Temple
8th operating temple
Address1000 Memorial Drive
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402-3497
Telephone: (+1) 208-522-7669
ServicesClothing rental available
NO patron housing available
NO distribution center nearby
Announcement:3 March 1937
Groundbreaking:19 December 1939 by David Smith
Site Dedication:19 October 1940 by David O. McKay
Public Open House:15–20 September 1945
Dedication:23–25 September 1945 by George Albert Smith
Public Open House:22 April–20 May 2017
Rededication:4 June 2017 by Henry B. Eyring
Exterior Finish:Reinforced concrete; a mixture made from aggregate and white cement called cast stone covers the 16-inch thick exterior walls in two-inch thick slabs
Ordinance Rooms:Four ordinance rooms (four-stage progressive) and seven sealing
Total Floor Area:85,624 square feet
On Monday, March 16, 2015, the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple closed to accommodate an extensive renovation. The
125th operating templeRexburg Idaho Temple accommodated members during the closure, including those desiring to receive their own ordinances.1
A major focus of the renovation was to bring the historic temple up to code. Structural walls were reinforced, and mechanical and electrical systems were upgraded including heating and air conditioning equipment, wiring and lighting, elevator systems, emergency lights and exit signs, and a new fire suppression system. A separate exit was created for brides and grooms, and a large waiting room added for wedding parties—reducing the size of the former office space. In the ordinance rooms, the murals were restored, and the number of seats reduced by approximately 35 percent to increase roominess and to improve the room-to-room progression of the temple. Finishes and furnishings were refreshed throughout the temple, and clothing rental and cafeteria services were retained.2
Standing on the banks of the Snake River, just above the cascading waters for which the city is named, the gleaming white Idaho Falls Idaho Temple serves as a centerpiece to the city. Just east of the temple is a gorgeous waterfall feature and public visitors' center featuring films, displays, multimedia presentations, and an awe-inspiring reproduction of Thorvaldsen's Christus statue. A stake center and parking lot occupy the property just south of the temple on the former site of an LDS Hospital.
The Idaho Falls Idaho Temple was the first temple built in Idaho.
The Idaho Falls Idaho Temple was the only temple dedicated by President George Albert Smith.
The Idaho Falls Idaho Temple was the first temple designed with a central spire. (The design represented a return to the use of spires, as the three previously dedicated temples featured no towers or spires.)
The Idaho Falls Idaho Temple was originally named the Idaho Falls Temple.
The east side of the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple originally featured a series of three reflecting ponds that were filled with water lillies and small fish. In the 1960s, the ponds were converted to flowerbeds. In 2011, the concrete ponds were removed as part of a landscaping renovation and replaced with a waterfall feature.
The erection of the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple was considered the fulfillment of prophesy made by Elder Wilford Woodruff in 1884. While visiting the Saints who were struggling to colonize the windswept desert prairie, he said: "Be not discouraged; be not disheartened, because God's blessing is upon this land." He continued: "Yes, as I look into the future of this great valley I can see temples—I can see beautiful temples erected to the name of the Living God where holy labors may be carried on in his name through generations to come."
The design of the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple was inspired by a vision of an ancient Nephite temple beheld by architect John Fetzer, Sr., who had prayed for guidance.
While excavating through sand for the foundation of the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple, workers encountered solid lava rock beneath—an ideal foundation for the basement walls.
At the cornerstone ceremony for the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple held on October 19, 1940, six-year-old John Groberg was given the assignment to hold President David O. McKay's hat. John would later become a general authority and the temple's 14th president.
Once the exterior of the temple was completed in September 1941, the interior was expected to be completed by the end of the next year. However, World War II shortages delayed completion of the temple four more years.
The Idaho Falls Idaho Temple features beautiful hand-painted murals on the walls of its progressive-style ordinance rooms: Creation Room, Garden Room, World Room, Terrestrial Room (no murals), and Celestial Room. (Only two other temples feature full Celestial Room murals: the
11th operating temple; closed for renovation; dismantling the interiorHamilton New Zealand Temple and the
10th operating templeLos Angeles California Temple. The corner pillars in the
2nd operating templeLogan Utah Temple Celestial Room portray a heavenly landscape, too.)
The Idaho Falls Idaho Temple is one of only seven temples where patrons progress through four ordinance rooms before passing into the Celestial Room. (The other six temples are the
3rd operating templeManti Utah Temple, the
4th operating templeSalt Lake Temple, the
5th operating templeLaie Hawaii Temple, the
6th operating templeCardston Alberta Temple, the
10th operating templeLos Angeles California Temple, and the
113th operating templeNauvoo Illinois Temple.)
In September 1983, a helicopter was employed to install an angel Moroni statue atop the spire of the previously statueless Idaho Falls Idaho Temple.
The angel Moroni statue atop the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple is a casting made by LaVar Wallgren of the statue created by Torlief Knaphus for the Washington D.C. Ward chapel, which he made as a replica of Cyrus E. Dallin's statue atop the
4th operating templeSalt Lake Temple. (Other castings of this statue stand atop the
100th operating templeBoston Massachusetts Temple and formerly atop the
21st operating templeAtlanta Georgia Temple.)
In October 2011, a complete renovation of the landscaping of the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple was completed, which included replacement of the flowerbeds on the east side of the temple with a beautiful waterfall feature, installation of four gathering plazas—one in each quadrant of the grounds, reconfiguration of the walkway to the baptistry, and creation of a bridal courtyard on the south side of the temple. The Idaho Falls Beautification Commission awarded the project its top award for 2012 in the non-residential category.
- "Two Temples Scheduled for Renovation in Germany and Idaho," The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints News Release, 16 Dec. 2014.
- "LDS Idaho Falls Temple Renovation," Okland Construction <http://www.okland.com/markets/religious/lds-idaho-falls-temple-renovation/>.