Manti Utah Temple
3rd operating temple; renovation plans underway
© 2002, Rick Satterfield. All rights reserved.
Manti, Utah 84642
Telephone: (+1) 435-835-2291
ServicesClothing rental available
NO patron housing available
Distribution center nearby (Store Locator)
Announcement:25 June 1875
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication:25 April 1877 by Brigham Young
Private Dedication:17 May 1888 by Wilford Woodruff
Dedication:21–23 May 1888 by Lorenzo Snow
Public Open House:6–8 June 1985
Rededication:14–16 June 1985 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Exterior Finish:Fine-textured, cream-colored oolite limestone obtained from quarries in the hill upon which it stands
Ordinance Rooms:Four ordinance rooms (four-stage progressive) and eight sealing
Total Floor Area:100,373 square feet
Perched atop a rising knoll, known as "Temple Hill," the magnificent Manti Utah Temple dominates the Sanpete Valley of Central Utah. Located just off Highway 89, approaching travelers can glimpse the distinctive towers from miles and miles away. Across the highway from the temple is the Pioneer Heritage Center and Gardens—a 2.5-acre park featuring a reflecting pool for the temple, meandering walkways with park benches, an amphitheater, finely crafted statues, and beautiful landscaping.
The Manti Utah Temple was the third temple built in Utah.
The Manti Utah Temple was the only temple dedicated by President Lorenzo Snow.
The Manti Utah Temple was originally named the Manti Temple.
The Manti Utah Temple was built on a rattlesnake-infested site, known as the Manti Stone Quarry. Once Brigham Young designated the site for a temple, it became known as Temple Hill. The quarry's stone, Manti oolite, is the same cream-colored stone used for the temple exterior.
Twin self-supporting, open-centered spiral staircases wind five stories up each of the octagonal towers on the west side of the Manti Utah Temple. No joints can be felt in the walnut hand railings due to the expert skills employed. The dramatic stairways are considered an engineering marvel of the Mormon pioneers.
A large arching tunnel under the east tower of the Manti Utah Temple, which has since been closed, allowed cars to pass from one side of the temple to the other.
The Manti Utah Temple features beautiful hand-painted murals on the walls of its progressive-style ordinance rooms: Creation Room, Garden Room, World Room, Terrestrial Room (no murals), and Celestial Room (no murals).
The Manti Utah Temple is one of only seven temples where patrons progress through four ordinance rooms before passing into the Celestial Room. (The other six temples are the Salt Lake Temple, the Laie Hawaii Temple, the Cardston Alberta Temple, the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple, the Los Angeles California Temple, and the Nauvoo Illinois Temple.)
The Manti Utah Temple is one of two temples that still employ live acting for presentation of the endowment. (The other is the Salt Lake Temple.)
Lightning struck the east tower of the Manti Utah Temple in 1928, which started a fire that burned for three hours before it could be extinguished.
Murals were repainted in the 1940s when the deterioration of wall plaster meant the garden and world room murals by Danquart Weggeland and C.C.A. Christensen could not be saved. Robert L. Shepherd painted the Garden Room, and famous Latter-day Saint artist Minerva Teichert painted the World Room with scenes depicting Biblical stories of the Tower of Babel, Abraham, Joseph in Egypt, Moses, and Esau; worldwide expansion of the Pilgrims, European crusaders, Christopher Columbus, and the Orient; and the North American continent with a Native American, fur trapper, pilgrim, and city of Zion.
In 1985, the Manti Utah Temple was formally rededicated following a four-year renovation project that included updating the auxiliary systems; adding three sealing rooms, new dressing rooms, a nursery, and offices; restoring the pioneer craftsmanship and artwork to their former glory; and extensively renovating the baptistry including the addition of an exterior entrance. Apartments for temple workers were also constructed during the renovation. The three-day open house was attended by 40,308 visitors.