Chicago Illinois Temple
35th operating temple
© Dan Bienz. All rights reserved.
Address4151 West Lake Avenue
Glenview, Illinois 60025-1240
Telephone: (+1) 847-299-6500
ServicesNO clothing rental available
NO cafeteria available
NO patron housing available
Distribution center nearby (Store Locator)
Announcement:1 April 1981
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication:13 August 1983 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Public Open House:15 July–3 August 1985
Dedication:9–13 August 1985 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Rededication:8 October 1989 by Gordon B. Hinckley (addition only)
Exterior Finish:Gray buff marble and a gray slate roof
Ordinance Rooms:Five ordinance rooms (stationary) and three sealing
Total Floor Area:37,062 square feet
Buffered by an 80-acre nature sanctuary in the northern suburb of Glenview, the Chicago Illinois Temple stands on a lushly wooded site near I-294. The temple is characterized by its six white-tipped spires rising from each corner of the building. The manicured grounds—including two captivating water features—are open for public enjoyment.
The Chicago Illinois Temple is the first of the currently operating temples built in the Midwest and the second latter-day temple built in Illinois, following the original
Destroyed by arson fire in 1848; rebuilt in 2002Nauvoo Temple (1846).
The tallest spire of the Chicago Illinois Temple, bearing a gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni, stands at 112 feet tall.
President Gordon B. Hinckley presided at the groundbreaking services for the Chicago Illinois Temple, noting that it was "a day of history." The ceremony marked the beginning of the return of a temple to the state of Illinois.
Young women from the St. Paul Minnesota Stake made a dozen dolls for the Chicago Illinois Temple nursery, each named after the girl who made it.
Before the dedication of the Chicago Illinois Temple, approximately 100,065 visitors toured the building during its public open house.
In the dedicatory prayer of the Chicago Illinois Temple, President Gordon B. Hinckley honored the Saints of Nauvoo, who finished construction and dedication of the
Destroyed by arson fire in 1848; rebuilt in 2002Nauvoo Temple, even knowing they would be driven out.
The Chicago Illinois Temple closed on September 3, 1988, for remodeling that more than doubled its size. The rear central spire and original breezeways between the annex were enclosed, and additional square footage was built underground, largely retaining the exterior appearance of the temple. The remodel added a fifth ordinance room, large sealing room, cafeteria, and maintenance facility. Enlarged were the laundry, administrative area, and baptistry, which was relocated.
In December 1994, the Chicago Illinois Temple was closed for two months for the addition of an elevator and for other minor changes.
On Christmas Eve of 2008, a frozen ceiling sprinkler pipe burst inside the Chicago Illinois Temple, causing extensive water damage. An army of craftsmen from as far away as New Mexico replaced all of the carpet, replaced over 2,000 feet of wood trim, and replaced or reupholstered most of the furniture in just two months.
In January 2015, the smallest sealing room in the Chicago Illinois Temple was converted into a changing room for patrons participating in proxy sealings.