Temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


Columbia River Washington Temple

Lubbock Texas Temple

Snowflake Arizona Temple

108th dedicated temple in operation
Snowflake Arizona Temple

© JC Mayes. All rights reserved.

Address

1875 West Canyon Drive
Snowflake, Arizona  85937
United States
Telephone:  (+1) 928-536-6626

Services

NO clothing rental available
NO cafeteria food served
NO patron housing available
Distribution center nearby (Store Locator)

Announcement: 

2 April 2000

Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 

23 September 2000 by Rex D. Pinegar

Public Open House: 

2–16 February 2002

Dedication: 

3 March 2002 by Gordon B. Hinckley

Site: 

7.5 acres  |  3.0 hectares

Exterior Finish: 

Two tones of imported, polished granite quarried in China

Architectural Features: 

Single attached spire with an angel Moroni statue

Ordinance Rooms: 

Two instruction rooms (two-stage progressive), two sealing rooms, and one baptistry

Total Floor Area: 

18,621 square feet  |  1,730 square meters

Temple Locale

The site for the Snowflake Arizona Temple lies next to a golf course at the west end of town on top of a bluff covered in cedar trees that has become known as "Temple Hill." Approximately 8 feet was removed from the top of the knoll to accommodate the two-level temple, which is partially set into the ground. A rustic water feature sits on the lower parking level directly in line with the entrance.


Temple History

The Snowflake Arizona Temple was the second temple built in Arizona, following the Mesa Arizona Temple (1927).

The Snowflake Arizona Temple is a sister building to the Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple.

The town of Snowflake was named after its founder, William J. Flake, and the apostle with charge over the colonization of Arizona, Erastus Snow, who visited the settlement a few months after Flake arrived.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Snowflake Arizona Temple was held on September 23, 2000. President Stephen Reidhead of the Snowflake Arizona Stake related the history of the early pioneers who settled the area, dreaming that a temple would be built there one day. Elder Rex D. Pinegar of the Seventy, who presided at the ceremony, said the temple was the most sacred place on earth. He encouraged members to dissolve any feelings that drew them apart and to gather in the temple where no differences exist.1

In March 2017, the angel Moroni statue atop the Snowflake Arizona Temple was replaced. The original statue faced east, looking over the rear side of the building. The new statue was installed facing west, looking over the temple entrance.


Temple Design

The Snowflake Arizona Temple landscaping and plantlife complement the natural surroundings. In front of the entrance canopy is a beautiful water feature.

The interior decor reflects the history and culture of the area. Much of the furniture, for example, has a pioneer appearance similar to that of the Vernal Utah Temple. Several pieces were custom built including some with Native American designs carved into them. Native American patterns appear as painted stencil work on walls and sculpted into carpets.

A console cabinet is on display featuring a peach tree branch design on the doors. Jacob Hamblin, an early pioneer and missionary, traded goods with Native Americans for peach pits, which he planted to grow peach trees. A print depicting Jacob Hamblin meeting with Native Americans on horseback hangs in the temple.

A second console cabinet placed in front of art glass windows features a gold-leaf sunburst on each of the three panels. Art glass windows feature beveled cuts that create a shimmer of light outside the rooms of the temple. An exquisite set of stained-glass windows depicting Christ instructing a circle of children and adults is on display. Dark cherry wood and light painted wood is incorporated throughout the building.2


  1. Church News 30 Sept. 2000.
  2. "Snowflake Arizona Temple Times" Vol. II, pp. 1–2.

Mesa Arizona Temple
7th dedicated temple in operation
Vernal Utah Temple
51st dedicated temple in operation
Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple
104th dedicated temple in operation