Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple
136th dedicated temple in operation; temporarily closed
© 2011, Aaron K. Allen. All rights reserved.
Address9a Calle 4-03, Zona 9
Frente a Residenciales Los Cerezos 1
Telephone: (+502) 7728-1603
ServicesNO clothing rental available
Cafeteria food served
Patron housing available
Distribution center nearby (Store Locator)
Announcement:16 December 2006
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication:14 March 2009 by Don R. Clarke
Public Open House:11–26 November 2011
Dedication:11 December 2011 by Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Exterior Finish:Precast concrete panels from Mexico
Architectural Features:Single attached tower with an angel Moroni statue
Ordinance Rooms:Two ordinance rooms (two-stage progressive) and two sealing
Total Floor Area:21,085 square feet
Placed among the breathtaking mountains and volcanoes of Quetzaltenango Valley, the Mayan-inspired Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple stands high atop a knoll on the western edge of Quetzaltenango—commonly known as Xela—near the city zoo, Parque Zoológico Minerva, and across from Los Cerezos condominiums. A patron accommodation facility also shares the beautifully landscaped grounds, which are open to the public.
The Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple was the second temple built in Guatemala, following the Guatemala City Guatemala Temple (1984).
The Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple was announced by President Gordon B. Hinckley during his remarks at the groundbreaking ceremony for Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple.
Ground was formally broken for the Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple on a beautiful spring morning to an audience of more than 700 Church leaders and other special guests including the mayor and a congressional delegate. Elder Don R. Clarke, president of the Central America Area, presided. In his remarks, he said, "It is through your obedience and dilligence that the Lord has allowed the construction of this holy house."1
On October 1, 2010, the gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni was raised to its final position atop the single spire of the Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple.
During the 15-day public open house for the Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple, more than 126,000 visitors toured the building, including about 16,500 on the final day alone.
The dedicatory services for the Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple were broadcast to meetinghouses throughout the entire country, allowing all worthy members in Guatemala to participate in the dedication of its nation's second temple.
The Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple was the first temple dedicated by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, who was serving as Second Counselor in the First Presidency.
Members of Western Guatemala have been faithful temple attenders since the time they had to travel to the Mesa Arizona Temple (1927), then to the México City México Temple (1983), then the Guatemala City Guatemala Temple (1984), and finally the Quetzaltenango Guatemala Temple (2011).
- "Se inicia la construcción del Templo de la Ciudad de Quetzaltenango Guatemala," La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Últimos Días 17 Mar. 2009.