Kona Hawaii Temple
70th dedicated temple in operation
© Aleta Warren. All rights reserved.
Address75-230 Kalani Street
Kailua Kona, Hawaii 96740-1833
Telephone: (+1) 808-331-8504
ServicesNO clothing rental available
NO cafeteria food served
NO patron housing available
NO distribution center nearby (Store Locator)
Announcement:7 May 1998
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication:13 March 1999 by John B. Dickson
Public Open House:12–15 January 2000
Dedication:23–24 January 2000 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Exterior Finish:White marble veneer
Architectural Features:Single attached spire with an angel Moroni statue
Ordinance Rooms:Two ordinance rooms (two-stage progressive) and two sealing
Total Floor Area:10,700 square feet
Clad with bright white marble and surrounded by statuesque palm trees, the Kona Hawaii Temple is a handsome landmark along Queen Ka'ahumanu Highway. The temple is located in the coastal community of Kailua-Kona on the Big Island, just 8 miles south of the Kona International Airport. Built on a hillside above the stake center for the Kona Hawaii Stake, the temple features a pair of staircases flanking a beautiful garden area with palm trees and a terraced water feature.
The Kona Hawaii Temple was the sixth temple built in Polynesia and the second built in Hawaii, following the Laie Hawaii Temple (1919).