Salt Lake Temple
Recent News Articles
- April 20, 2019 – History and renovations of Salt Lake Temple and others
- April 20, 2019 – Will Salt Lake tourism suffer during major Temple Square renovations?
- April 19, 2019 – The Salt Lake Temple is closing for renovation. Here are 13 facts about Temple Square
- April 19, 2019 – Salt Lake Temple to close in December 2019, will remain closed for 4 years
- April 19, 2019 – Plans Unveiled for Salt Lake Temple Renovation
- April 19, 2019 – Interesting facts about the Salt Lake LDS Temple as it closes for renovations
- April 19, 2019 – Details about Salt Lake Temple closure, renovation due at Friday news conference
- April 18, 2019 – Interesting facts about the Salt Lake LDS Temple as it closes for renovations
- April 17, 2019 – ‘Mormon Land’: Renovating Mormonism’s ‘Notre Dame’ and preserving historic LDS buildings
- April 16, 2019 – How will Utah officials protect the iconic Salt Lake Temple from a fire like at Notre Dame?
- November 23, 2018 – Christmas lights switch on at Temple Square, while a new holiday tradition lights up at Eccles Theater
- November 23, 2018 – Temple Square now illuminated, featuring a million lights
- October 5, 2018 – World-renowned Mormon Tabernacle Choir Changes Its Name
- August 19, 2018 – 'Castle' on Disney case is actually Mormon temple in Salt Lake
Salt Lake Temple Renovation Plans Unveiled
President Russell M. Nelson announced at a news conference on April 19, 2019, that the Salt Lake Temple will close on December 29, 2019, for approximately four years for a major renovation and restoration project including improvements to the surrounding grounds and facilities. The temple is expected to reopen in 2024 when guests will be invited to tour the interior during an open house. The project will address seismic issues by creating a base isolation system for the temple foundation. Aging mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems will be replaced inside the building, and the interior will be refreshed while preserving its historic details. The existing annex and north-side addition (built in the 1960s) will be demolished and replaced. The South Visitors’ Center will also be replaced with two visitor pavilions. In the future, the temple will be accessible through a patron tunnel from the Conference Center parking facility or from patron pavilions located on the north side of the temple connecting to the recommend desk area and grand hall featuring large skylights with generous views of the temple.
Renovations Coming to Pioneer-Era Temples
Before his announcement of twelve new temples to be constructed across the globe, President Russell M. Nelson announced that plans were underway to renovate and update the temples of the pioneer generation including the historic Salt Lake Temple. The dates and details of those projects will be announced as they are developed.
Salt Lake Temple Plays Backdrop to Youth Flash Mob
LDS Youth of the South Jordan Utah River Stake proclaimed their testimony of Christ—after completing the Book of Mormon—with a flash mob set in front of the iconic Salt Lake Temple.
Salt Lake Temple Open House Experience in Visitors' Center
It's been over 100 years since the public was invited to tour the Salt Lake Temple, but a new permanent exhibit opened in the South Visitors' Center today featuring a near-identical 1:32 scaled replica of the temple, offering an open house experience of this magnificent edifice.
Prayers for Haiti Offered Near Salt Lake Temple Reflection Pool
On Sunday, January 17, families and friends with connections to Haiti, including former missionaries, gathered at the Salt Lake Temple grounds near the reflection pool to pray and sing for their suffering brothers and sisters in the region of Port-au-Prince.
Christmas Lights at Temple Square a Long-Held Tradition
It's been 44 years since the first strands of Christmas lights were weaved through the landscaping of Temple Square. The long-time tradition was once accompanied by an opening ceremony, but the popularity of the event brought crowds that were too large.
Rumors of a Salt Lake Temple Closure Unfounded
"There are no plans to close the Salt Lake Temple for remodeling," said Elder William R. Walker, Executive Director of the Temple Department. Rumors of a closure accompanied the opening of two new temples in the Salt Lake Valley in Draper, Utah and South Jordan, Utah earlier this year.
Million Dollar Views of Salt Lake Temple For Sale
Million dollar views of the Salt Lake Temple and Oquirrh Mountains are for sale in the Church's new mixed development in downtown Salt Lake City, called City Creek Center. The high-rise condominiums in Richards Court and The Regent are selling despite the economic downturn.
Garden Tours and Advice Offered at Temple Square
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is now hosting tours of its famously landscaped grounds in and around Temple Square. Tours and lectures by expert horticulturists will be offered regularly through the summer months. For more information, please read this news article.