Preston England Temple
52nd operating temple
© 2007, Keith Kirby. All rights reserved.
AddressTemple Way, Hartwood Green
Lancashire PR6 7EQ
Telephone: (+44) 1257-226-100
ServicesClothing rental available
Patron housing available
Distribution center nearby (Store Locator)
Announcement:19 October 1992
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication:12 June 1994 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Public Open House:16–30 May 1998
Dedication:7–10 June 1998 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Exterior Finish:Olympia white granite from Sardinia
Ordinance Rooms:Four ordinance rooms (two-stage progressive) and four sealing
Total Floor Area:69,630 square feet
Located in Northern England, north of Liverpool and Manchester, the Preston England Temple anchors an extensive Church complex that includes a stake center, missionary training center, family history center, distribution center, patron housing facility, and temple missionary accommodations. Decorating the manicured grounds are mature trees, flower gardens, and a pair of reflection pools near the entrance.
The Preston England Temple was the second temple built in the United Kingdom, following the
12th operating templeLondon England Temple (1958).
Missionary work in the British Isles began in 1837 when Elder Heber C. Kimball, an apostle, and six others arrived at Liverpool and traveled to Preston to pursue a contact with a family of Joseph Fielding. The first converts in Great Britain were baptized that year in Preston's River Ribble. On August 6, 1837, the Preston Ward was organized, which is the longest continuously functioning unit of the Church in the world.
Plans for the Preston England Temple were publicly announced by President Gordon B. Hinckley on October 19, 1992, during the second day of rededicatory services for the
12th operating templeLondon England Temple.