Port Vila Vanuatu Temple
Recent News Articles
- May 15, 2023 – How the Port Vila temple groundbreaking was particularly poignant for this Vanuatuan family
- April 10, 2023 – Vanuatu’s president, prime minister join groundbreaking services for Port Vila temple
- March 2, 2023 – Missionaries Safe as Vanuatu Declares a State of Emergency and Braces for Second Cyclone
- February 16, 2023 – Looking Forward to the Construction of the Port Vila Vanuatu Temple
- February 5, 2023 – Members in Vanuatu share excitement for the temple in Port Vila
- January 30, 2023 – Groundbreaking announced for temple in Vanuatu, an archipelago of 80-plus South Pacific islands
- January 30, 2023 – Groundbreaking Date Announced for Port Vila Vanuatu Temple
- July 12, 2022 – Elder and Sister Yamashita, Elder Whippy, Meet with Church Members in Vanuatu
Groundbreaking Held for the Port Vila Vanuatu Temple
Elder K. Brett Nattress, president of the Pacific Area, presided at the groundbreaking ceremony for the Port Vila Vanuatu Temple on Saturday, April 8, 2023. The president of Vanuatu, His Excellency Nikenike Vurobaravu, and his wife Rima Vurobaravu were in attendance along with the Honourable Prime Minister Altoi Ismael Kalsakau and his wife Ellene Kalsakau. After quoting a passage from the Book of Mormon that God "remember[s] those who are upon the isles of the sea," Elder Nattress said, "The Vanuatu temple is evidence of God's promise." In his site dedicatory prayer, he asked, "May the transcendent beauty of the temple become a place of peace and spiritual strength for the local residents and for all who will come and visit here."
Grounbreaking Rescheduled for the Port Vila Vanuatu Temple
The groundbreaking ceremony for the Port Vila Vanuatu Temple has been rescheduled for Saturday, April 8, 2023. The event had been previously scheduled for March 4, but it was postponed due to the impact of Cyclones Judy and Kevin. The 10,000-square-foot temple will be constructed on the 1.62-acre site of the Blacksands meetinghouse.
Port Vila Vanuatu Temple Groundbreaking Postponed
The Port Vila Vanuatu Temple groundbreaking, which was originally scheduled to take place this Saturday, has been postponed. Following the damage caused by Tropical Cyclone Judy, a state of emergency was declared in Vanuatu. A second cyclone, Kevin, is following closely behind. Church leaders in Vanuatu have confirmed that all missionaries are safe and accounted for. The Church is ready to assist with emergency relief.
Groundbreaking Announced for the Port Vila Vanuatu Temple
Elder K. Brett Nattress, president of the Pacific Area, will preside at the groundbreaking for the Port Vila Vanuatu Temple on Saturday, March 4, 2023. Attendance at the temple site is by invitation only. Additional details will be announced to local congregations as the event draws closer. The 10,000-square-foot temple will be constructed on the site of the Blacksands meetinghouse, located near the Port Vila International Airport.
Port Vila Vanuatu Temple Location Announced
The Port Vila Vanuatu Temple will be erected on the 1.62-acre site where the Blacksands meetinghouse currently stands at Blacksands Crossroads near the Port Vila International Airport. Plans call for a single-story building of approximately 10,000 square feet with a single spire. An ancillary building will also be constructed, which will include an arrival center, patron housing, and a distribution center. No groundbreaking date has been set.