Johannesburg South Africa Temple
36th dedicated temple in operation
© Andy Kelly Nelson. All rights reserved.
Address7 Jubilee Road
Telephone: (+27) 11-645-1540
ServicesClothing rental available
NO cafeteria food served
Patron housing available
Distribution center nearby (Store Locator)
Announcement:1 April 1981
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication:27 November 1982 by Marvin J. Ashton
Public Open House:30 July–10 August 1985
Dedication:24–25 August 1985 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Exterior Finish:Masonry exterior with gray slate roof
Architectural Features:Six detached spires with an angel Moroni statue
Ordinance Rooms:Four instruction rooms, three sealing rooms, and one baptistry
Total Floor Area:19,184 square feet
Rising above a stand of enchanting Jacaranda trees on Parktown Ridge, the six white-tipped spires of the Johannesburg South Africa Temple capture the attention of travelers on the M1 highway north of Johannesburg's city center. Located on Jubilee Road, the temple shares its grounds with area offices including family history, employment, and distribution services. Visitors are welcome to learn more about the temple at the public visitors' center.
The Johannesburg South Africa Temple was the first temple built in Africa (and in South Africa).
The first convert in South Africa, Henry Stringer, was baptized on June 15, 1853. However, the exodus of the Saints to Utah and government-imposed restrictions on the number of missionaries who could serve greatly hindered the work in South Africa until the 1980s.
The announcement of the Johannesburg South Africa Temple came less than three years after the June 1978 revelation, announced by President Spencer W. Kimball, extending the priesthood and temple blessings to all worthy men regardless of race or color.
The Johannesburg South Africa Temple is located in the historic suburb of Parktown, known for its grand turn-of-the-century Victorian mansions, many of which have succumbed to commercial, educational, and civic developments.
The nearly two-week public open house of the Johannesburg South Africa Temple attracted more than 19,000 visitors including civic and business leaders and government representatives.
Nearly 3,500 of the 12,000 members of the extensive temple district attended the dedicatory services of the Johannesburg South Africa Temple.
The dedication of the Johannesburg South Africa Temple brought a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to every habitable continent of the world.