St. George Utah Temple
Recent News Articles
- January 21, 2020 – Temple demolition draws crowds as west end torn down as part of renovation project
- January 9, 2020 – Latter-day Saint building lost to fire now rebuilt and open for services
- November 1, 2019 – St. George Temple set to close 3 years for extensive renovation efforts
- September 16, 2019 – 104-year-old man shares how volunteering in the St. George Temple each week keeps him young
- May 22, 2019 – Latter-day Saint leaders announce renovations to St. George Utah Temple
- May 22, 2019 – ‘Absolutely incredible’; LDS church reveals details of pending St. George Temple renovations
- May 22, 2019 – Church Shares Renovation Plans for the St. George Utah Temple
- May 7, 2019 – Hike of the Week: Temple Quarry Trail is a family-friendly hike with historic views
- March 27, 2019 – As LDS chapel rebuilds from blaze, investigators silent but suspicious about cause
- February 7, 2019 – Fire officials call LDS church fire ‘perfect storm’ of vulnerability; ATF offers reward for info
- January 29, 2019 – Police identify occupants seen in car near stake center fire
- January 27, 2019 – Investigation points to arson in St. George Stake Center fire
Stair Tower of St. George Utah Temple Coming Down
Demolition has begun on the stair tower addition to the St. George Utah Temple, which extends from the rear side of the building. The stair tower was constructed in the 1970s to provide wider staircases and better access to the temple's floors. The replacement structure will extend even farther and be made to the match the exterior of the original temple. It will include a grand staircase and two elevators with stops at each floor. The street on the south side of the temple, 500 S, has been closed to better accommodate construction.
St. George Utah Temple Annex Demolished
The St. George Utah Temple has been fully decommissioned, and renovation activities are evident on all sides of the building. On the north, the longstanding annex that was constructed in the 1970s has been razed, leaving only the east wall and basement of the structure. On the east, plywood has replaced the doors and will protect the uprights along the stairs. On the south, flexible ducts have been connected to each floor of the temple to use during interior demolition. And landscaping has been removed immediately around the temple including the west side.
Road Closed at the St. George Utah Temple
As work at the St. George Utah Temple transitions from decommissioning to renovation, the road between the temple and the parking lot—400 South—has been closed to traffic. The road will be raised to provide a level crosswalk for patrons coming from the parking lot to the new annex and entrance plaza. The location of a second temple to be built in St. George, known as the Washington County Utah Temple, was recently announced for the corner of 3000 East and 1580 South.
Final Day of Ordinance Work at the St. George Utah Temple
At the conclusion of ordinance work at the St. George Utah Temple this evening, the historic structure will close for a multi-year renovation of the entire temple block. The closure was announced at a news conference held on May 22 of this year. Plans include an overhaul of the landscaping that will introduce new plazas for bridal parties and visitors, demolition and reconstruction of the temple annex and stair tower, the addition of a separate baptistry entrance, and a complete restoration of the interior including a return of full murals to the endowment rooms.
Renovation Plans Shared for the St. George Utah Temple
At a news conference held in the St. George Temple Visitors' Center today, plans were released for the upcoming renovation of the St. George Utah Temple, which closes on November 4, 2019. Brent Roberts, managing director of the Special Projects Department said, "Latter-day Saints have worshipped here for almost 150 years. However, the building has worn out over time, and it is once again time for us to refresh and strengthen this historic structure for future generations to enjoy." Improvements are planned for the entire block including new walkways, landscaping, water features, and shade trees. The existing annex will be replaced with a larger structure that complements the temple's exterior and incorporates a new exit for brides. Major structural and mechanical upgrades will require some excavation around the foundation. A new baptistry entrance will be added on the south side of the temple. The renovation is expected to be completed in 2022, which will be followed by an open house and rededication.
New Stake Center Lost to Fire in St. George, Utah
A nearly completed stake center for the St. George Utah East Stake that had been under construction across the street from the St. George Utah Temple was lost to fire in the early hours of Saturday morning, just one day after an announcement that the temple would be closed for renovation late this year. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but it is being treated as a criminal investigation.
Renovation Announced for the St. George Utah Temple
On November 4, 2019, the St. George Utah Temple will close for a major renovation to extensively reinforce the structural integrity of the building and to upgrade all of the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. The interior will be cosmetically refreshed throughout. Construction is expected to be completed in 2022.