St. George Utah Temple
Recent News Articles
- September 16, 2019 – 104-year-old man shares how volunteering in the St. George Temple each week keeps him young
- May 22, 2019 – Latter-day Saint leaders announce renovations to St. George Utah Temple
- May 22, 2019 – ‘Absolutely incredible’; LDS church reveals details of pending St. George Temple renovations
- May 22, 2019 – Church Shares Renovation Plans for the St. George Utah Temple
- May 7, 2019 – Hike of the Week: Temple Quarry Trail is a family-friendly hike with historic views
- March 27, 2019 – As LDS chapel rebuilds from blaze, investigators silent but suspicious about cause
- February 7, 2019 – Fire officials call LDS church fire ‘perfect storm’ of vulnerability; ATF offers reward for info
- January 29, 2019 – Police identify occupants seen in car near stake center fire
- January 27, 2019 – Investigation points to arson in St. George Stake Center fire
- January 26, 2019 – LDS church fire in downtown St. George being treated as ‘criminal investigation’
- January 26, 2019 – New LDS stake center near St. George Temple gutted by fire
- January 25, 2019 – St. George Utah Temple Closing
- November 24, 2018 – Temple Christmas lighting attendees invited to ‘light the world’ through service for the holidays
- November 24, 2018 – St. George LDS Temple Christmas Lights
- November 19, 2018 – LDS church invites public for Christmas lighting and musical celebrations at temple, tabernacle
- October 21, 2018 – St. George Temple day; a significant, sacred beacon for over 140 years
Renovation Plans Shared for the St. George Utah Temple
At a news conference held in the St. George Temple Visitors' Center today, plans were released for the upcoming renovation of the St. George Utah Temple, which closes on November 4, 2019. Brent Roberts, managing director of the Special Projects Department said, "Latter-day Saints have worshipped here for almost 150 years. However, the building has worn out over time, and it is once again time for us to refresh and strengthen this historic structure for future generations to enjoy." Improvements are planned for the entire block including new walkways, landscaping, water features, and shade trees. The existing annex will be replaced with a larger structure that complements the temple's exterior and incorporates a new exit for brides. Major structural and mechanical upgrades will require some excavation around the foundation. A new baptistry entrance will be added on the south side of the temple. The renovation is expected to be completed in 2022, which will be followed by an open house and rededication.
New Stake Center Lost to Fire in St. George, Utah
A nearly completed stake center for the St. George Utah East Stake that had been under construction across the street from the St. George Utah Temple was lost to fire in the early hours of Saturday morning, just one day after an announcement that the temple would be closed for renovation late this year. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but it is being treated as a criminal investigation.
Renovation Announced for the St. George Utah Temple
On November 4, 2019, the St. George Utah Temple will close for a major renovation to extensively reinforce the structural integrity of the building and to upgrade all of the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. The interior will be cosmetically refreshed throughout. Construction is expected to be completed in 2022.