Montpelier Idaho Temple
Recent News Articles
- March 6, 2023 – June groundbreaking date set for the Montpelier Idaho Temple
- January 18, 2023 – Full house for P&Z decision on temple
- May 20, 2022 – Montpelier Idaho Temple site identified, less than 7 weeks after temple’s announcement
- May 20, 2022 – Montpelier Idaho Temple Site Announcement
- April 29, 2022 – Historical home being moved for Montpelier Temple
- April 28, 2022 – Final house ready to move for Montpelier Temple
- April 17, 2022 – ‘It’s just such a blessing’: Locals looking forward to Latter-day Saint temple in Montpelier
- April 3, 2022 – Montpelier got its name from Brigham Young and now will be home to Latter-day Saints temple
- April 3, 2022 – LDS Prophet: Temple to be built in Montpelier
Groundbreaking Announced for the Montpelier Idaho Temple
Elder Ryan K. Olsen, General Authority Seventy, will preside at the groundbreaking ceremony for the Montpelier Idaho Temple on Saturday, June 17, 2023. The two-story temple of 27,000 square feet will be constructed on a 2.6-acre site at the northeast corner of Washington and Sixth Street. An exterior rendering of the temple will be released later. Attendance at the temple site is by invitation, but a live broadcast will be available to the members of the temple district.
Fence Installed Around the Montpelier Idaho Temple Site
A chain-link fence has been erected around the site of the future Montpelier Idaho Temple. The location was officially announced eight months ago, but no exterior rendering or groundbreaking date has been released yet. The small town has approximately 2,600 residents with two stakes that pull membership from the surrounding region. The temple will stand across the street from the historic Montpelier Tabernacle.
Montpelier Idaho Temple Site Location Announced
A news release from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has confirmed the presumed location for the Montpelier Idaho Temple. The two-story building of approximately 27,000 square feet will stand on a 2.6-acre site at the intersection of Washington Street and North Sixth Street in Montpelier. Plans for the temple were announced at last month's general conference by President Russell M. Nelson.
Home to Be Moved from the Presumed Montpelier Idaho Temple Site
An early 1900s home located on the presumed site for the Montpelier Idaho Temple has been lifted from its foundation and is scheduled to be moved a mile away tomorrow morning. Although no official site announcement has been made, the Church has acquired nine properties in the block east of the renovated Montpelier Tabernacle including the former City Hall building. The historic fixture was razed in March 2021, and several adjoining residences have also been demolished. The site is located on Washington Street between North 6th Street and North 5th Street, south of the Bear Lake County Library and the John A. Bagley House—a Queen Anne-style Victorian known as the Purple Sage.